Sunday, January 9, 2011

Choose Your Own Foodventure...

I have something to get off my chest. It’s been on my mind for some time now and I just have to admit…I love food. I LOVE it! I know everyone needs it but oh boy do I WANT it! I love cooking it, eating it, cuddling up with it on my couch in my Snuggie…don’t judge me.

I love all the different types of cuisine and restaurants I have access to here in the greatest city in the world -New York City- but honestly I prefer cooking and baking at home. I am a self-proclaimed mad scientist in the kitchen. My husband serves as the guinea pig for the many culinary “experiments” I perform. He has never once complained about the job and if he did, there would be a lot of Easy Mac in his future…

Being completely mad about cooking but completely uninterested in cookbooks or the organized science of baking proves to be both disasterous at times and at other times leads to my greatest gastronomical discoveries. You have to bake it to make it, I say!

I think many people are very hesitant to do certain things without instruction and there are certain things that require following directions -like putting together a media cabinet from IKEA for instance- but cooking can be creative. I may not be a painter but I am an artist in the kitchen. I get to create things that may not only look beautiful* but also taste great and satisfy the recipient. *In cooking, taste has to trump beauty. Don’t be so superficial! Just eat it, you’ll love it. I promise.

Stop being afraid my gastropeeps! Take your kitchen by storm. Shake your salt shaker and your oregano shaker too! Don’t fear the pepper! Just have fun!

In the spirit of those Choose Your Own Adventure books of my youth, I will try my best to inspire you all to throw caution to the wind and will offer “suggestions” rather than definitive recipes because I want you to choose your own foodventure! Take my ideas and change them to suite your taste preferences and use what you have on hand!

Put on your apron and let your foodventure begin! :)

1 comment:

  1. Well written I must say, food is what u make it, recipes are guidelines once you truly understand the concept of what you are doing or what the recipe suggest, you can than do what you like. Never be afraid and experiment who cares if it turns out bad!

    Taste is a must and yes it must come before beauty, however when u van combine the two to mastery is when u have have perfection!

    Allez cuisine!

    ReplyDelete